Indoor Pollution is as dangerous as poison
We all cannot see it but we sure can smell it. Indoor pollution is as a result from chemicals such as
- pets we have in our homes. Some chemicals have been there since the stone ages for example:
- Combustion from fire can create harmful chemicals.
- Bacteria and mold
- It can cause serious harm to our health if care isn’t taken.It can cause death from diseases such as lung cancer or strokes
Household paints are full of volatile organic compounds, also known as VOCs. VOCs can cause health problems in high enough concentrations, and a fresh coat of paint may just do the trick. Ever notice a headache after painting? Now you know why.
Most of the VOCs released in fresh paint are gone by the time that paint is dry—but not all. Some that may linger can put you and your family at risk. Some of these VOCs are known carcinogens—meaning they have been linked with cancer. These chemicals include ethylene chloride and benzene.
Products such as:
- Chemicals from the Carpet fumes:
- When a new carpet is installed, there’s a very good chance it will release chemicals from its vinyl backing and the glue used to hold the carpet to the floor. This release of chemicals is known as off-gassing. Some of these chemicals have been associated with headaches, dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath and asthma-like reactions.
Small kids may have particular difficulty, as they spend their time closer to the carpet. Kids who suffer from asthma and allergies may have a particularly rough time depending on their sensitivity.
- TOXINS IN NON STICK POTS & PANS:
People have been buying non-stick cookware since the 1940’s. That doesn’t mean it’s safe, though. One of the chemicals used in the past to make these pots and pans has been linked with kidney, thyroid, prostate, bladder, and ovarian cancers.
However, a second toxic chemical can be released from superheating your nonstick cookware. Nonstick cookery releases toxic fumes when it heats up over 500 F. This can lead to symptoms known as “Teflon flu,” and it can even kill pet birds. Be careful not to overheat nonstick pots and pans. If you need to sear or otherwise superheat your food, use cookware made of a different material such as cast iron to avoid these problems.
- HARMFUL HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS & DISINFECTANTWhat do you use to clean your home? Chances are you use multiple cleaners, sanitizers, and disinfectants when you scrub down your surfaces. When these substances interact in the air you breathe, they can form complex VOCs that have been linked to various health problems. One study found that the risk of asthma and other respiratory problems increases the longer someone has spent as a professional cleaner. Similar but limited evidence has been found of these same effects at home, too.
Sprays seem to be particularly problematic—think glass cleaners, air fresheners, and furniture sprays. One study associated these with a 100% higher chance of asthma diagnoses, as well as other health problems.
Chlorine bleach seems to be a special case. Bleach sanitizes, which may be why households that use it report a lower risk of eczema, asthma, and allergies. However these households also have a higher than average incidence of respiratory problems.
If you live in one of the many homes that use natural gas stoves, you’ll really want to pay attention to this. The convenience of natural gas is countered by the noxious gases these appliances emit: carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and even a bit of formaldehyde.
One study found that Carbon monoxide and Nitrogen dioxide levels are substantially higher in homes with gas ovens, especially in the winter when people are less likely to open their windows. And they often were higher than federal and state health standards recommend. Formaldehyde levels were less of an issue.
Fortunately there are ways to address these problems. One is to make sure your stove has a ventilator hood, and also to make sure you’re using it regularly. Some people in colder climates may avoid using theirs since they send warm air up and out of the home. If you’re reluctant to use a ventilator hood, you could also switch to an electric model.Health problems associated with Indoor pollution:
Pollutants can cause a wide range of short-term and long-term health problems. In the short term, exposure to high concentrations of indoor air pollution can cause
- eye irritation
- nose and throat irritation,
- fatigue and dizziness.
Sometimes the symptoms resemble asthma while others resemble cold symptoms. That can make it difficult to recognize the problem.
- Long-term health problems can be quite serious. Sometimes years after being exposed, a person can suffer from:
- heart problems
- respiratory sickness
There is much uncertainty about what chemicals cause these problems. Some people are sensitive to certain pollutants.
- Harmful chemicals in lotions, shampoos & deodorants
You use them to stay clean and to smell nice, but many personal care products may be dirtying your air at the same time. Scientists examined 25 different products, including dish detergents, lotions, soaps, deodorants, hand sanitizers, and shampoos, and found that they create a variety of potentially harmful chemical byproducts. On average, the 25 products each contributed 17 different VOCs, including formaldehyde.
The main culprit is fragrance. Some fragrances frequently found at home, such as citrus and pine scents, can pose a wide variety of problems. Some dryer sheets can send children into seizures. Some adults pass out when an air freshener is used. The solution is obvious: When you have the choice, pick unscented personal care products.
- HOW TO PREVENT INDOOR POLLUTION
Proper ventilation helps reduce a large number of indoor pollutants from your home, school, or office. It’s even been linked to better school performance and fewer absences at school and work. This is a good solution for many, but there may be some exceptions. Ventilation also lets more outdoor air inside, and places with high concentrations of smog (and with it ozone) may be introducing other harmful substances into their air. But ventilation has been shown to reduce dust mites, mold, and other organisms that contribute to indoor air pollution.